root.openldap.org

HI!

I read about the referral server root.openldap.org.

As I understand this root.openldap.org sends me a referral to a LDAP
server if I know a dc-name search root of a server for which a SRV
record is put into DNS.

But if I already know the dc-named search root of a LDAP server I
can look up the SRV record myself (in my client) and access the
server directly instead of asking a local server which has to be
configured to send a referral to root.openldap.org which looks up
the target host in DNS and send me a referral. The only benefit I
see is compability to LDAP clients which can chase referrals.

Or did I misunderstand something?

Ciao, Michael.