Re: root.openldap.org

At 11:50 AM 8/11/00 +0200, Michael Ströder wrote:
>I read about the referral server root.openldap.org.
>
>As I understand this root.openldap.org sends me a referral to a LDAP
>server if I know a dc-name search root of a server for which a SRV
>record is put into DNS.

Actually you should view the service as assisting your default
LDAP server in providing DN -> LDAP URI resolution.   Many servers
don't yet support DNS SRV based resolution and can only generate a
referral when it has full knowledge information.  If your
server supports DNS SRV, then it can do the work itself.
If, however your server doesn't support DNS SRV and doesn't have
full knowledge, it should send your client to a DNS SRV capable
service.

Once all LDAP SERVERS understand DNS SRV, the experimental root
service will likely not be needed.  Even though vendors (especially
Microsoft are moving in this direction quickly, it will be some
time before use of DNS SRV is ubiquitous.

I'm still looking forward to the day that I can create a referral
in any server just by adding a named referral object with a
ref attribute of ldap:/// and rely on the server to expand
this URI on the fly based upon its location within the DIT and
available DNS SRV resource records.   Maybe coming to a server
near you very soon.