LDAP vs. SQL

I know this has been hashed out here a few times before (archives),
but I'm looking for some more specific opinions.

I'll be modeling a large user accounting databaase (from scratch,
no legacy data structures), and I want to get it as "right" as
possible the first time around.

Right now, I'm leaning toward storing all of the user's entries
(basically, user profiles) in LDAP.  The user will have arbitrary
relationships established between them (basically groupings and
parent-children heirarchies).  I was thinking of using an SQL
database to maintain these relationships between the LDAP entries.

At this point, I wonder whether it might just be easier overall to
just model everything in SQL.  I'd really prefer to keep the
benefits of LDAP, though (specifically the replication
capabilities).

Oh, and the SQL server is question is MySQL.

Has anyone modeled a similar system?  Nothing is implemented yet,
so if I'm totally off the deep end here, hopefully someone will let
me know. =)

Thanks,

--
Jon Parise (jon@csh.rit.edu)  .  Rochester Inst. of Technology