Re: LDAP vs. SQL

To chose between a Relational or Hierarchical database, you need to
look at  your application (or data).

If there is a higher degree of orthagonolity between elements, then
relational
is better. If you have more commonality among elements, which yield
reusability
then hierarchical is better.

For example, organizations are usually formed hierarchically. There is a
boss,
some managers, and some doers. This would best be represented in a
hierarchical
database, hence LDAP.

On the other hand, Students, Classes, and Faculties are orthogonol. And
an RDBMS is better.

One also consideres maintainability. Relational Databases are easy to
maintain
or extend. Just through in another table or collection of tables. But in
the hierarchical
database what you add better be part of something else. And what you
remove better
not damage the subtree below it or not damage the code accessing the
sub-tree.

That is my current understanding of things....

Medi Montaseri, Software Eng, medi@sanlight.com