Lag in LDAP updates

This question may be a little bit off topic, but I've found this list to be
a useful source of information in the past so I thought I'd give it a try.

I'm writing some ldap clients using the Netscape Java SDK v4.1 against a
Netscape Directory Server.

The client adds entries, deletes entries and changes passwords for those
entries and I've run into some irregularities.

1) If the password for an entry is changed you can still authenticate with
the old password until you authenticate with the new password.

2) If you delete an entry you can still authenticate as that user one more
time.

Are these safety features so if you accidentally delete the administrator
you can go back in and recreate it?

Is there some sort of a commit I can do in order to make the changes take
effect immediately?

Any info would be helpful.
Thanks
-Cavan