Re:

You could replicate to an ldap server on each machine and therefore authenticate
to the local machine making each machine somewhat independant. there would be a
securiy risk if the persmissions are not set correctly. This would also be
significantly faster in system performance.

If you are trainging root users then you need to train them in the
responsibilites as well so security is not the issue.

Gerrit Thomson.