[no subject]

I am using a LDAP server (openldap 1.2.11) to authenticate users on Linux
machines, for that I am using the pam_ldap and nss_ldap modules. I retired
the users accounts from the clients machines, only the LDAP server machine
have users accounts. This is working (the users can get access to the
machines). However the LDAP server and the clients machines are allways
comunicating between them and for the users on the clients machines could
work the LDAP server must never go down. If it goes down during a user
session in a client machine that machine freezes.
1) This is the normal behavior of the authentication using the pam_ldap and
nss_ldap modules without users accounts on the clients machines? There is
any solution to work around this problem?
2) I want to know is if it's possible to use the same LDAP server for
authenticate users on Windows machines (98, NT or 2000)? How?
3) If is not possible, can someone tell me how to centralize the users
accounts and authentication on both Windows and Linux machines on one single
machine?
Thank you very much!
Sergio Santos
ei01141@student.estg.iplei.pt