semicolons in DNs

HI!

A questions concerning semicolons in DNs:
Section 4. of RFC2253 says:
"Implementations MUST allow a semicolon character to be used instead
of a comma to separate RDNs in a distinguished name,.."

Hmm, how to write a robust DN parser which figures out if semicolon
or comma is used to separate RDNs? I'm thinking of conflicts with
LDAPv3 sub-types in a RDN which are also separated from attribute
name by a semicolon.

Hmm, are there still LDAP clients/servers out there which use ; to
separate RDNs? (You see I'm somewhat lazy... ;-)

Ciao, Michael.