Re: using ldap for multiple personal address books

> From:  "Anson Parker" <ans@x-64.com>
> Date:  Wed, 3 May 2000 00:09:34 +1000
>
>  I've been thinking about the concept of providing network-based personal
> address books (i.e. not the standard directory, but a contacts list
> populated and managed by each user for themselves) for a group of users.
>
>  Is LDAP appropriate for this? With one server/.conf file is there a way to
> deal with separate users' address books? Obviously authentication is
> required also, what's the best way of dealing with this?
>
>  The reason I want to do this is to gain the benefit of a variety of having
> a wide variety of platforms that could access to this address book: web,
> Outlook, netscape, etc.

I've thought about this too, but since I've had other things higher on my
priority list, I haven't done anything.  At least in theory, you could put the
user's address lists under their own user node, so for instance, my address
book entry for you might be located at:

	cn=Anson Parker,ou=People,uid=cwg,ou=People,dc=deepeddy,dc=com

My address book software would have to search both

	o=vircio,c=US

and

	ou=People,uid=cwg,ou=People,dc=deepeddy,dc=com

Naturally, only I would have permission to read and write anything under

	uid=cwg,ou=People,dc=deepeddy,dc=com

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 virCIO
http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/	http://www.virCIO.Com

  My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination.  For an
  explanation of what we're doing, see http://www.DeepEddy.Com/tms.html

    Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft,
      but they could get fired for relying on Microsoft.