using ldap for multiple personal address books

Hi,

 I've been thinking about the concept of providing network-based personal
address books (i.e. not the standard directory, but a contacts list
populated and managed by each user for themselves) for a group of users.

 Is LDAP appropriate for this? With one server/.conf file is there a way to
deal with separate users' address books? Obviously authentication is
required also, what's the best way of dealing with this?

 The reason I want to do this is to gain the benefit of a variety of having
a wide variety of platforms that could access to this address book: web,
Outlook, netscape, etc.

 Regards,

 Anson.