Re: pop servers

Are are using UW's imapd and ipop3d in conjuction with pam_ldap and
nss_ldap and everything is working fine.
As far as I know qpopper doesn't support PAM does it?  That may be part of
your problem, but ye, pam_ldap requires entries in the /etc/passwd
file, UNLESS you use nss_ldap.  With nss_ldap you need to us the
posixAccount objectclass and the corrosponding attributes for normal UNIX
accounts.  You specify the uid/gid/gecos/home directory, etc. in those
attributes just like the /etc/passwd file.

The other options is just to leave accounts in the passwd file and use *'s
for passwords, and then use pam_ldap to lookup passwords in
LDAP.  However, this is a pain because you still have two sources for
accounts.

My advice is to use nss_ldap (you can get it from www.padl.com or use
RedHat RPMS if you use RedHat 6.1)
-jay

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, R.I.Pienaar wrote:

> hi,
>
> I am trying to move my old mail system away from flat files to an LDAP based
> solution.
>
> previously i had a /etc/pop.passwd file that had the exact format as
> /etc/passwd except all users had the same uid/gid that qpopper then use to
> deliver mail (I modified qpop myself).
>
> At first I thought i could use the pam modules, but it seems these require you
> to have a /etc/passwd entry for users - I am trying to avoid this.
>
> is there any known pop3 servers that will try and bind to a directory as a
> user using the password supplied?  I can hack away at qpop again, but i want
> to avoid that.
>
> thanks for any comments.
>
> --
> R.I. Pienaar  rip@pinetec.co.za
>
>       "I don't know.  I'm confused.  Who *are* you?  Where are my shoes?"

Jay Christner
Information Technology Services
Goshen College
Goshen, IN 46526