pop servers

hi,

I am trying to move my old mail system away from flat files to an LDAP based
solution.

previously i had a /etc/pop.passwd file that had the exact format as
/etc/passwd except all users had the same uid/gid that qpopper then use to
deliver mail (I modified qpop myself).

At first I thought i could use the pam modules, but it seems these require you
to have a /etc/passwd entry for users - I am trying to avoid this.

is there any known pop3 servers that will try and bind to a directory as a
user using the password supplied?  I can hack away at qpop again, but i want
to avoid that.

thanks for any comments.

--
R.I. Pienaar  rip@pinetec.co.za

      "I don't know.  I'm confused.  Who *are* you?  Where are my shoes?"