sasl-auxprop (and sasl/slapd.conf)

I'm trying to understand which values I can use for the sasl-auxprop directives and how to configure (if possible) sasl/slapd.conf.

I was trying to use the users created with slappasswd2 -c (as written in the Administration guide) but no sasldb file was open by the server (I straced out a full session). I tried to put an explicit configuration in sasl/slapd.conf, and stracing the server I saw it was open and read, but the configuration inside is just ignored.

Reading the manpage I found it says that sasl-auxprops "Specify which auxprop plugins to use for authentication lookups." and that the default is use the slapd internal support.

But I did not define this one, and sasl/slapd.conf still seems to be ignored. And no possible values for the available plugins to use as sasl-auxprops parameter are listed.

I could get DIGEST-MD5 authentication working putting the password inside the server (userPassword in CLEARTEXT), so it seems that the default is used anyway. But I'd like to have it working using using sasldb or configuring sasl/slapd.conf to use saslauthd.

Regards
Simone
--
Simone Piccardi                                 Truelite Srl
piccardi@truelite.it (email/jabber)             Via Monferrato, 6