OpenLDAP & SSSD Question

Hopefully someone out there can shed some light on this.

Running OpenLDAP 2.4.40 on our CentOS 5 servers, with an assortment of CentOS 5, 6, 7; Fedora20+, Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04.  The CentOS 5’s are running as straight LDAP clients.  The others are using SSSD / LDAP.

On the CentOS 5, when running “getent hosts”, it will return the entire LDAP Hosts dbase; which is the behavior we want.

On all the systems running SSSD, they only return the local hosts file.  If explicitly adding a host to the command “getent hosts some_host”, it will only return if the host is in the local hosts file or DNS; never searching (watching the logs) either the LDAP or SSSD.  Debug is at maximum.

Again any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

JD Borresen