RE: OpenLDAP with ppolicy and SSSD configuration question.

Howard,
    I don't see your point.  I'm not debating a user providing a password or not.  I'm discussing how to inform the client that an account is locked.  Slapd already knows the account for DN=x is locked because the user provided an invalid password too many times according the the policy and it set pwdAccountLockedTime.  The issue is, sssd, which is the standard for RHEL6 and what I have to deal with doesn't understand that value.  It wants a True/False, not a timestamp.  So what I'm asking about is, translating a timestamp to a True/False.

    As I said, there are any number of external methods I could do that would do it.  I was hoping for an internal method, something that could translate it on the fly so if I request "accountLocked" for DN=x and pwdAccountLockedTime is not NULL then return accountLocked=TRUE otherwise return accountLocked=FALSE.  If an existing overlay could be used to do that, I was interested in the specifics.

    I don't understand your second point.  ANYONE can lock out a user with ppolicy and that has nothing to so with sssd.  I could do an ldapsearch and use any users DN with an invalid password and lock them out if I hit the policy settings that trigger the lock.  Heck I could write a perl script that requested every user with posixAccount objectClass and then proceed to bind with invalid passwords to lock out the entire directory as a DoS.

     -Brad Viviano

Brad Viviano
High Performance Computing & Scientific Visualization
Lockheed Martin, Supporting the EPA
Research Triangle Park, NC
919-541-2696

HSCSS Task Order Lead - Ravi Nair
919-541-5467 - Nair.Ravi@epa.gov
High Performance Computing Subtask Lead - Durward Jones
919-541-5043 - Jones.Durward@epa.gov
Environmental Modeling and Visualization Lead - Heidi Paulsen
919-541-1834 - Paulsen.Heidi@epa.gov