schema problems

I have bean running slapd for 3 years and the time to
upgrade has knocks at my door. I was running 1.2 and have
got the latest 2.0.7 now this is my problem.

In slapd.conf I have the line
cut---------------------------slapd.conf
schemacheck    off
cut---------------------------
And I can run and make the data base with ldif2ldbm
but slapd gives me the ERR

Starting slapd: No objectClass "top" defined in schema

Now if I put this in the slapd.conf
cut---------------------------slapd.conf
#schemacheck    off
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
cut---------------------------

BUT now when I run ldif2ldbm I get the ERR

[root openldap]# /usr/local/sbin/ldif2ldbm -i
/home/ldap/theData/ldbmDATA.ALL
/usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema: line 114: expecting "requires"
or "allows" got "2.5.20.1"
<oc clause> ::= objectclass <ocname>
                [ requires <attrlist> ]
                [ allows <attrlist> ]
[root openldap]

and the file schema/core.schema is as it came from the install
can some one help me out of this catch 22.

 Fortunato Stinson