pam_ldap and Netware 5

I am new to LDAP and am interested in getting the linux PAM module to authenticate to a Netware 5 server. I have set up the ldap.conf file, but after doing a packet trace I find that after the seach entry is completed, two bind requests are made - the first with the authentication information and the second without. On both I am getting a result code of 0x00 which is a success (according to ethereal anyway).

Any ideas/suggestions on what I could be doing wrong or where I could look to find more information about this?

Thanks in advance

-Chris