Re: [ldap] NIS, DCE and /etc/passwd replacement

Gerard,
	If you run pwconv on IRIX = which makes /etc/shadow files = don't
you get {crypt} passwords?  We have a Sun Directory Server with Crypt
passwords and it works great on IRIX if we run pwconv first.

Maybe I misunderstood your point?

> Hello Simon,
>

> On May 28,  4:11pm, Simon Woods wrote:
> > Subject: Re: [ldap] NIS, DCE and /etc/passwd replacement
> > Hi Gerard,
> >
> > The documentation to the sgi ldap support is not the greatest. They have been
> > patching the nsd support since IRIX 6.5.1, and only seem to have reached
> something
> > reasonably stable in 6.5.7!
> >

> I guess you're right, but it was enough to get going. The line with the version
> keyword was missing in my config file, but still present in the original sgi
> version, so I must have accidentally deleted it. It works just fine now. But I
> did see complaints about nsd on usenet, especially from NIS users. We don't use
> NIS, and luckily we don't have problems with nsd.
>
> > Just for the record,
> >
> > We are using an OpenLDAP server which provides the network information
> directly to
> > a few SGI's. All of the other machines are still fed using NIS which in turn
> gets
> > its information from files generated using perl scripts which use ldapsearch
> > lookup the Directory (cron jobs every half hour). Not very elegant but it
> works and
> > was the easiest solution when I started. We use the same method for
> generating the
> > DNS entries, mail aliases and our proxy access lists. I have a second ldap
> server
> > which is replicated and (touch wood) so far (5 Months) has not gone out of
> sync.
> > The whole thing is more an experiment than a production environment!
> >
> > These days I use the Net::LDAP perl library for new scripts. Appears to be
> just as
> > fast as using ldapsearch for returning <1000 entries and I don't have to
> compile
> > anything on the target machines.
> >
> > Simon.
> >
> >-- End of excerpt from Simon Woods
>
> I have just decided to go the java way myself. It will be interesting to see
> how it performs. I'm still only working in a test environment, but we plan to
> gradually introduce it in the next few months. Sgi's nsd setup makes this quite
> easy, so I'm rather pleased with it. First thing we want to do apart from unix
> authentication is to have our radius server authenticate from ldap. Sgi
> promised to support {crypt} passwords for 6.5.8, so that should be do-able...
> Thanks again for the tip!
>
> Gerard
>

> --

   Sellers , Chris G.
   Scientific Programmer Analyst
    Information & Instructional Technology
    Oakland University - Rochester, Michigan 48309-4401
    Phone: (248) 370.2016    FAX: (248) 370.4251