Re: Fortune 100 Company Extranet Security Model

Hi all,

Although you can build your complete security model with LDAP, we found a
good compromise by using LDAP to control access TO THE application; the
access INSIDE AN APPLICATION would be still controlled by the existing,
already programmed, security rules.
In such a way we got the best of LDAP without a complete revisiton off all
exixting applications.
Of course, new applications are designed from the beginning to take
advantage of LDAP.

best regards
G. Baruzzi

"Phillip C. Rhodes" wrote:

> All,
> I am a project lead for a large company's Extranet security model.
> Currently, It is predominately Java servlets/JSP's which access
> different databases (Oracle, DB2, etc)and MQ, etc.
>
> Our security model is implemented in Oracle.  Home grown.  We are
> rapidly growing, I envision thousands of users and  groups.  Right now,
> we use a database table that links a database user or groups to a
> resource.
>
> For example, group "Customer A" will have access to records containing
> their customer number.  We use this table to build sql queries, or to do
>
> direct joints to filter records.  What we have is security down to the
> database record level.
>
> This approach has some drawbacks:
> 1)    Maintenance tools must be written to support the tables for
> administration.  Password resets, password policies, group membership,
> etc...
> 2)    Performance-
> 3)    Cumbersome to program in this model
>
> I would be interested in what others may be doing in this arena. Would
> LDAP help us provide record-level data security for diverse datasources
> such as DB2 and Oracle?
>
> Perhaps a hybrid of database and LDAP?  Put the LDAP database backend in
>
> Oracle?
>
> Just a few questions for now.
>
> Thanks,
> Phillip