Re: SV: Are you happy to recommend OpenLDAP to others?

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Pedro Melo wrote:

	You can grab a copy of the ldap auditor from the following URL:

	http://bleu.west.spy.net/~dustin/soft/ldap_audit.tgz

	There is no implied warranty of any kind whatsoever.  I don't want
anyone thinking this won't destroy all of their replicates and/or their
master, then coming after me when it does.  Use it with caution...read the
source and make sure it's doing what you think it's doing!

	OK, that being said, here's what I intended it to do, and a brief
description of its observed behavior (i.e. how it works for me):

	It first compares the list of dn's with each slave from the
master.  This means that you must have at least as much memory to hold
your entire list of DNs in memory at least twice.  If you configure it to
correct the problems, and give it access to do so, it will remove entries
from slaves when they don't exist in the master, and add entries to slaves
when they do not exist but should.

	Next, it goes through every DN, requests the entry, and compares
the data in each entry.  This means that in addition to having enough
memory to hold at least two copies of all your DNs, it must also be able
to hold about four copies of every entry.  This isn't a problem for my
database, but it may be a problem for someone.  If someone really has an
issue with any of this, don't use it, or figure out a way to make it more
efficient.  It's certainly doable.

	It's a perl script that requires Net::LDAP and Data::Dumper.  Let
me know about people successes, failures, and comments about it.