Re: Is it possible to store HTML in an LDAP server???

Hello Axel,

I don't think that performance or storage capacity would be the primary
drawback. You can have pictures within entries, and servers can handle
them without problems.

But I see two fields, which may lead to problems:

1. An HTML document is a multi-line document, with the order of lines
   beeing an essential information; this has to be handled by an admin
   tool introducing such attributs into the server, as well as the server
   in an appropriate way; I could imagine such syntax handlers without
   too much pain. However,

2. What should an ldap client do with such an attribute? Unless you have
   a very specific client, that is tuned for such an attribute, you could
   imagine two differnt kinds of clients: (a) a pure ldap client, that
   cannot handle an HTML document, and (b) an HTML-LDAP-gateway that
   could display the document directly.

   What would client (a) do? Store the attribute in a file (via stdin),
   or ignore the attribute, ...?

   What would client (b) do? Display the attribute's content (the HTML
   page)? What should the client do with other attributes obtained
   during the same request? Normally, those attributes are displayed as
   HTML pages, already. So what?

Maybe, you have a very special application of the HTML storage. Then you
may also have a very specialized client. Under these conditions, you
surely could store the document directly in the server. But under more
general conditions, I would like to see an answer to the above questions.

Regards,

Kurt

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, axel wrote:

> Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 10:11:07 +0100
> From: axel <axel@bos.nl>
> To: Kurt Spanier <kurt.spanier@zdv.uni-tuebingen.de>
> Cc: openldap-general@OpenLDAP.org
> Subject: Re: Is it possible to store HTML in an LDAP server???
>
> Hello Kurt,
>
> thanx for your reaction, maybe it's a good idea to store documents with a
> reference called labeledUri but why shouldn't i take up the documents in the
> LDAP server? Is there a performance problem or is it just not possible,

----------==========#########>>>>>ZDV<<<<<#########==========----------

X.500:                                              Tel.:
   Kurt Spanier, Zentrum fuer Datenverarbeitung,      +49 7071 29-70334
   Universitaet Tuebingen, DE
SMTP-Mail:                                          FAX.:
   kurt.spanier@zdv.uni-tuebingen.de                   +49 7071 29-5912
Snail-Mail:
   Dr. Kurt Spanier, Zentrum fuer Datenverarbeitung,
   Universitaet Tuebingen, Waechterstrasse 76, D-72074 Tuebingen
PGP-Public-Key:
   finger "Kurt Spanier"@x500.uni-tuebingen.de