Re: Is having an "open" ldap database a good idea ?

On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 02:31:10PM -0800, Dustin Sallings mentioned:
> 	Do any MUAs support doing a proper binding to an LDAP server?

 Yeah. I use "mutt" as my main MUA. There is a perl script, called
"mutt_ldap_query.pl", which you can get from contrib directory on the Mutt
FTP site. You can customise that, and add a dn/password etc. into the
script directly, and add

set query_command = "mutt_ldap_query.pl '%s'"

 to your muttrc. In here, I have it set as

set query_command = "mutt_ldap_query.pl '%s' -W -d 'login=jplooney,ou=people... ' "

 so that I can just pass the "connect as" DN as args to the script, and
it'll ask me for a password before logging in to the ldap server (it just
spawns off ldap_search, and formats the output in a specific way).

 On some of the other points; Although we could lock the database on IPs
(it'll be for a public free service, though the primary use would be so
users could do LDAP searches from their webmail client.

 Now that I know that spammers are likely to harvest mail address from an
LDAP server, I think I'll make it a closed system.

Kate