Re: Is having an "open" ldap database a good idea ?

We had a case about a year or so ago where somebody was methodically
scanning our LDAP server trying to harvest addresses.  We have a limit on
how many addresses we'll return in one query, but they were doing stuff
like searching for aa*, ab*, ac*, etc.

--On Fri, Feb 4, 2000 2:31 PM -0800 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net> wrote:

>	 Spammers don't care where they get addresses, or, for the most
> part, whether they're valid or not.  If someone finds out about your LDAP
> server, you can guarantee they'll get a list of addresse out of it.

Roy Smith <roy@popmail.med.nyu.edu>
New York University School of Medicine
550 First Avenue, New York, NY  10016