Re: LDAP in general + SQL

On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 04:00:00PM -0500, Scott Sipe mentioned:
> Would I be better off storing all contact information in the sql
> database and trying to write a gateway (proper term?) between the SQL
> and LDAP server or doing something else?  Is keeping track of people for
> addressing purposes something that LDAP would be very good for, or are
> the benefits not worth the hassle?

 We were looking for something similar in our company. In the end, we
decided that it would be best just to keep LDAP and SQL seperate, and now
all the user registration/editing functions add/edit data in the LDAP
server, and then it updates the SQL databases.

 Slapd is really optimised for reading, not writing. If you do a database
read for every LDAP query you get, you'll kill the database. If it turns
out that you do a lot of updating, it's probably best to run a query every
hour or so, that gets all new info from the database, and populates the
LDAP server from that, rather than everytime you have an update to commit.
Or, if updates aren't that urgent, leave them for midnight, and do a
"shutdown LDAP server, import in with ldif2dbm, index everything, restart
database" type script.

John

--
Microsoft. The best reason in the world to drink beer.
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~valen