Fwd: Re: result code for a deleted identity on a connection

Roger/Jim,
Sometime back we discussed this on the list.
Probably we should make the necessary edits for this in AuthMeth
(clarification of server behaviour when the bind identity of an
established connection is deleted) and Protocol ( edit of when
strongAuthRequired can be sent).

-Prasad
--- Begin Message ---
At 10:55 PM 5/4/2003, Vithalprasad Gaitonde wrote:
>"But I'm thinking RFC 2251, 4.4.1 should be clarified as well:
>        - strongAuthRequired: The server has detected that an
>establish
>          security association between the client and server has
>          unexpectedly failed or been compromised, or that the
>          server now requires the client to authenticate using a
>          strong(er) mechanism."
>But what does strong(er) imply in the case which we are talking
>about...

In this case, it's the former part of the description which applies.
That is, the code indicates that a security association has failed.

>does that mean the client has to go over TLS or use some SASL
>bind and not use a clear text simple bind ?

It means either a security association has failed or the
better mechanisms are needed.

>.at least that was the
>conventional meaning of strongauthrequired.
>
>Prasad

>is
>draft)
>>>
>>> RFC 2251, 4.4.1:
>established
>between
>compromised.
>>>
>>> I think it would be reasonable to return this in this case as well.
>>
>>Why ask for _strong_ auth, and not just auth?
>
>First, we've clarified the result code, in general, to mean:
>>        strongAuthRequired (8)
>>           Except when returned in a Notice of Disconnect (see section
>
>>           4.4.1), this indicates that the server requires the client
>>           authentication using a strong(er) mechanism.
>
>But I'm thinking RFC 2251, 4.4.1 should be clarified as well:
>        - strongAuthRequired: The server has detected that an
>establish
>          security association between the client and server has
>          unexpectedly failed or been compromised, or that the
>          server now requires the client to authenticate using a
>          strong(er) mechanism.
>
>That is, generalized the result code here as well.  I also
>think other codes should be allowed in the Notice.  I think
>it reasonable for implementations to return a variety of
>other codes including busy, other, adminLimitExceeded,
>unwillingToPerform, and confidentialityRequired.
>
>Kurt

--- End Message ---