Re: Stitching two LDAP databases together using chaining?

On Thursday, 16 September 2010 14:29:40 Michael Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Let's say I have a database with base DN dc=parent. On a particular
> server, dc=parent is a read-only syncrepl slave.
>
> On the same server, I have a separate read-write database,
> dc=child,dc=parent.

Could you paraphrase (e.g. similar to what I have below) your configuration for
this?

> Is there a way to make it so searches of dc=parent also search the
> database in dc=child,dc=parent?

Surely, it should already work?

> I'm thinking a referral plus the chain overlay might do the trick, but I
> can't create a referral object with name "dc=child,dc=parent" within the
> dc=parent database because the server knows dc=child,dc=parent already
> exists (as the other database).

The chain overlay wouldn't be the right feature for this specific requirement,
if 'subordinate' doesn't do what you want, back-meta might.

> I get "Already exists (68)" from the
> server.

If you have:

database xxx
suffix dc=child,dc=parent
subordinate

[...]

databse xxx
suffix dc=parent

[...]

then, subject to normal access rules, this should just work.

> I figure I'm missing something simple, or doing something stupid.

It's a bit difficult to say, without knowing what you *are* doing.

Regards,
Buchan