smbk5pwd does not properly update sambaNTPassword and sambaLMPassword

Hello

I am running openldap 2.4.18 (BDB 4.8.24). Both of which I compiled from source. I compiled smbk5pwd with support ONLY for samba. I am using the samba that is distributed with CentOS 5.3 (3.0.33)

openldap does not crash or complain when it launches so I assume that:

moduleload      /usr/local/libexec/smbk5pwd.la

is at least loading up the module correctly.

I have a user with the sambaSamAccount objectclass.

I have configured PAM to change the LDAP userPassword when invoked from the command line with /usr/bin/passwd

The userPassword hash gets successfully updated and the values of the sambaNTPassword and sambaLMPassword hashes are changed, but I am unable to authenticate as a samba user against these hashes... and they look sorta weird:

010000000000000090c9c94100000000

when I would expect them to look more "complicated" like:

552902031BEDE9EFAAD3B435B51404EE

Does this smell of a smbk5pwd bug/problem/misconfiguration or a samba/ PAM one?

Thanks,
Scott