Re: ldap.conf between /etc/openldap or /etc/openldap2.3?

On Friday 14 December 2007 04:15:44 R.B. wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I've finally completed my server setup and now I'm focusing on the
> client configurations (with TLS).
>
> I'm using the Buchan RPMs (openldap 2.3.39) for RHEL4 and it creates
> an /etc/openldap2.3 directory. I also have the base openldap (2.2.x)
> rpms installed (originally) and it creates the base /etc/openldap
> directory.
>
> After doing an strace, I see that /etc/openldap/ldap.conf is used....

by what?

> but I want use /etc/openldap2.3/ldap.conf file, how do I switch my
> ldap client to look here?

To ensure there are not conflicts etc., my packages ship everything with a
major version suffix if the distribution shipped a different major version of
OpenLDAP. Thus, the ldap library from the libldap2.3_0 package
uses /etc/openldap2.3/ldap.conf, however the original ldap library provided
by RHEL (in the openldap-2.2.13 package) is still the 2.2.13 version, and
still uses /etc/openldap/ldap.conf. All the software shipped with RHEL that
uses the ldap library is compiled against the RHEL version, so
uses /etc/openldap/ldap.conf. If your /etc/openldap2.3/ldap.conf contains the
settings you want all LDAP software to use ... use a link (hard or soft,
either will probably do).

I have done this to ensure that my packages will never affect any software
supplied by Red Hat (and the support status).

Regards,
Buchan