Re: failover config: servers with same DNS address and TLS, subjectAltName extension

I have found this thread quite useful, it has tied together many lose
ends for me.

There is one more point I would like clarified. The subject says in part
"failover config". However:

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 01:51:19PM +0000, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
> For future reference, here is what I had to do to get multiple LDAP
> servers answering on the same DNS address and using TLS.
>
> The DNS contains this records:
> srv1	IN	A	192.0.2.4
> srv2	IN	A	192.0.2.5
> ldap    1 IN    A       192.0.2.4
> ldap    1 IN    A       192.0.2.5

As the text says, this is multiple LDAP servers answering on the same
DNS address. Where is the "fail-over" part? Is that assumed to be
configured somewhere else?

No doubt this question is outside the scope of this list, but it would
be useful to have this clarified if this thread lives on to be a HOWTO.

Cheers.
--
Norman Gaywood, Systems Administrator
University of New England, Armidale, NSW 2351, Australia

ngaywood@une.edu.au            Phone: +61 (0)2 6773 3337
http://mcs.une.edu.au/~norm    Fax:   +61 (0)2 6773 3312