Re: How long should replication take?

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 11:59:14AM +1000, Norman Gaywood wrote:
> I have a server and slave setup with syncrepl, openldap 2.3.34

> If I run a script to make about 60,000 modifications on the master, this
> takes about 20 minutes to run. The slave starts updating immediately,
> however it soon falls behind. It takes over an hour, since the last change
> to the master, for the slave to be in sync.
>
> Is this expected behaviour?

To answer my own question, it seems that yes, this is what others are
experiencing. I note this post from  Quanah Gibson-Mount:

http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-devel/200510/msg00014.html

where he mentions the time taken for the slaves to receive updates.

It seems that in some scenarios, delta-syncrepl may be a better choice
for replication.

There is a description on how to setup delta-syncrepl here:

http://www.connexitor.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3

I'm about to try this.

--
Norman Gaywood, Systems Administrator
University of New England, Armidale, NSW 2351, Australia

Please avoid sending me Word or Power Point attachments.