RE: multiple attribute search with single return slowness

>Queries are of the form
>"(&(objectClass=qmailUser)(|(mail=$i)(mailAlternateAddress=$i)))"

I haven't followed this whole thread (so maybe this has already been covered) but I have found that I can speed up my queries by a factor of 3 simply by not specifying an objectClass in the query.  (Instead, I ask for the object class to be returned as an attribute, and iterate over them) but this may not apply, depending on your data structure... On the queries where I discovered this, specifying object class was at most filtering out 3 to 4 entries (and I was only looking for one specific entry).  And our data structure is pretty different from the normal directory use case.

Dan