concurrent access on LDBM backend

Hi all,
I run a 2.0.27 OpenLDAP version on 3.3 BerkeleyDB (back-ldbm) on Solaris 8. I have heavy indexes that slows the writes (also dbnosync disabled on masters/slaves). Could threads help searches on slaves? If the slurpd is replicating to my slaves, the heavy indexes slow down the write process. I heard that when a thread is writing to the LDBM backend it will block all other threads from accessing the LDBM backend. As a write is currently taking a long time (due to index maintenance), the searches are not being handled by the other threads. Is it true? The heavy writes stop reads?

Thanx in advance

regards

Sergio Paternoster