question about openldap and solaris 8 pam_ldap

hello all! Good day! I've been trying to authenticate using pam_ldap in solaris and openldap in red hat linux. And I was wondering how it works? I managed to authenticate in my sun box using the username and password in the linux openldap server though. I was kinda thinking if there is still a need to add client profiles in openldap? I was able to authenticate without adding a profile to the openldap. And I was thinking if I'm doing it correctly or is it looking for the username someplace else.

any help will be most appreciated. thanks!

melissa