Re: nscd/openldap issue

> I've only got the following tip. nscd 2.2.4 and its predecessor on my RH
> 7.2++++ linux box cause nothing but havoc with ldaps authentication on
> my smtp server, Exim. The symptoms are exactly as you describe. ncd
> (SGI's version of nscd) on Irix seems to do exactly the same. A couple
> of entries in the Exim mailing list to Exim's daddy, Philip Hazel, say
> "chuck it" (he works on Solaris, mostly and has recently been
> experiencing gethostbyname problems).

I'll have to hunt for a place to download that separately.

> Even though it may cost you much performance, give it a whirl without
> nscd, (maybe 24 hours? Risk the users' wrath?) and see what happens.

I didn't even have to - it wasn't 15 minutes without nscd before slapd was
completely pegged (or rather, taking up one of the cpu's of the solaris
box, it apparently doesn't multithread) because someone had posted to an
internal mailing list.  Dumping everything into /etc/passwd seems to be
quite fast, although obviously not as scalable.

Thanks,
  John

--
John Madden