caching results in back-ldap

Hi,

I'm writing a custom backend based on back-ldap, and am trying to squeeze all
the performance out of it that I can.

I would like to use ldap_enable_cache (I know it's said to be soon
deprecated, but for my purposes it should be ideal), but it seems that each
connection made to the remote server is done with a different LDAP handle.

I can't find the place in the code that deallocates the old one, so I thought
I would ask here if there's a particular reason why back-ldap does not seem
to re-use its connections.

Any pointers appreciated.

Cheers,
Stephen Brandon