Re: i should've been more specific...

hi,

If you're looking for a user managment type site. I originally wrote one in PHP for my employer. It work ok and we're been using it for about 2 years with netscape iplanet directory, although it does not use any netscape specific features. The current maintainer has released the source as a opensource project at sourceforge.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ldapusrmgr/

Does add, delete students, change passwords, that sought of thing. It may ( or may not ) be the best project for you, but it might be something to look at or start with. I believe he has started work to make the site for generic ( remove site specific schema, etc. ).

also try http://www.open-it.org/ for their directory admin tool.
I haven't used that one though. It looks nice but it's not available for windows. We have admins on all different types of platforms. I'm hoping that salt http://salt.sourceforge.net/ takes off.

I agree OpenLDAP needs some well tested and supported open-source, OpenLDAP specific tools. Preferabley PHP for web due to it's availability, and java for desktop for cross-platform. Maybe a web configuration tool like samba's even.

The web tools are necessary for sites with lots of admins. I think the desktop tools are also nice to have, usually can be more powerful.

We're currently in about the same situation as you, as in we're currently evaluating OpenLDAP ( as a replacement of iPlanet ). If it goes through I'll probably be working on some of those tools in due time. So if anyone's interested.

--Kervin

Joshua S. Freeman wrote:
Thanks Nathan...

heh... I'm pretty aware of sourceforge.. I used to work at Andover.net
and then VA!.... I actually checked out a few things on Freshmeat a few
weeks ago but didn't find anything outstanding... I'd checked SF too..
but.. well, while they both have LOTS of info. on Open Source apps.  i
figured a list like this that specialized in OPENLDAP might help me
shorten the search process a bit.

:-)

J.