Attempt at a comprehensive authentication HOWTO

While I found the official documentation helpful, there were a few
mysteries and surprises that slowed me down.  I've attempted to create a
page that gathers the essentials from the existing documentation together
with what I've pieced together from other sources.  I have no doubt that
it's both incomplete and (in places) inaccurate, so your constructive
criticism is welcomed.  It is my hope that eventually I'll have something
that could be used to improve the official documentation.

http://www.ameritech.net/users/mhwood/ldap-sec-setup.html

Make a good day.