From: Rich West [mailto:Rich.West@divatv.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 1:27 PM
To: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: LDAP

This is going to sound kind of lame, but, alas, I am at my wit's end.
Before I get flamed beyond belief, let me state that I (1) have attacked
the HowTo's, (2) combed through the archives, and (3) hunted across the
web.  All, to no avail.

I am simply trying to evaluate the possibility of using LDAP as a
centralized password management database for UNIX (solaris/linux) and
NT.  I can't even get the darned v2.0.7 software to CREATE a database
without it cryptically telling me that I must be insane.

Unfortunately, the How-To's and Quick Start guide were written from the
prospective of someone who knows the innards of LDAP, and, hence, tend
to gloss over the key aspects.  *sigh*  What I would do for a good
functioning sample slapd.conf file...

Anyhow, it's compiled.. it is running.  But, either off line or on line,
I cannot get it to create a database.

The embarassing part is that I feel as if I have missed something along
the lines here.. something crucial.  really, it can't be this hard?
I've been plugging away at it, off an on, for over two weeks with no
luck.

I even went so far as to (1) use, unedited, the default slapd.conf file,
and (2) create an LDIF file using the sample from the quickstart:
openldap-2.0.7/libexec#> more /tmp/newentry
dn: dc=my-domain, dc=com
odjectClass: organization
o: DIVA
dc: my-domain

dn: cn=Postmaster, dc=my-domain, dc=com
objectClass: organizationalRole
cn: Postmaster

openldap-2.0.7/libexec#> ldapadd -f /tmp/newentry -D "cn=Manager,
dc=my-domain, dc=com" -w secret
adding new entry "dc=my-domain, dc=com"
ldap_add: Undefined attribute type
        additional info: attribute type undefined

ldif_record() = 17
openldap-2.0.7/libexec#>

Anyone have any ideas?  Is there another quickstart guide out there that
was written without the experienced LDAP user in mind?

At this point, I don't know where to turn, so I apologize in advance if
my questions on how to proceed sound rather basic...

-Rich

--
Richard West                            mailto:richard.west@divatv.com
Sr. Systems Administrator