Re: LDAP with the BerkeleyDB

I'm running openldap-1.2.11 on Slackware 7.1 (glibc-2.1.3).  Should
be close to what you're running.  Here's how I got it going:

Untar db-2.7.7, and:
	cd db-2.7.7/build_unix
	../dist/configure
	make ; make install
This only builds the static library.  To build the shared library, read
docs/build/shared_gcc.html.  Remember to add /usr/local/BerekelyDB/lib
to /etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig.

If you're running Linux with Linuxthreads, you have to install GNU pth.
(Refer FAQ-o-Matic, under the Linux platform hints to see why).

Untar pth-1.3.7:
	./configure --enable-optimize --enable-tests --enable-syscall-soft
	make ; make test ; make install
	ldconfig

Now untar openldap-1.2.11 and:
	export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/BerkeleyDB/include"
	export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/BerkeleyDB/lib"
	./configure --with-threads=pth --enable-shared --with-gnu-ld \
	--with-ldbm-api=db2 --enable-slurpd --with-yielding-select=no
	make ; make install
	ldconfig

If you run the 'make test', it will probably fail at some point.  This is
because there is a problem somewhere with threads where slapd hangs in
select(), and will not exit normally on kill signals.  (I've tried
different combinations of --with-yielding-select with no success).
Compiling --without-threads works as expected, but then you can't use
slurpd.

However, if you do an echo "" | ldapadd -p <slapd port> after killing
the process, the server will pop out of select and close properly (or
so it seems).  All you need to get the tests to work is add
'echo "" | ldapadd -p 9009' just before the 'sleep 5' at the end of
tests/scripts/all.

Also remember to fix your system shutdown scripts to do the same when
shutting down.

Carl Litt
Network Administrator
Execulink Internet Services