Re: Is having an "open" ldap database a good idea ?

On Sun, Feb 06, 2000 at 11:27:16AM +0000, John P. Looney wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 02:31:10PM -0800, Dustin Sallings mentioned:
> > 	Do any MUAs support doing a proper binding to an LDAP server?
>
>  Yeah. I use "mutt" as my main MUA. There is a perl script, called
> "mutt_ldap_query.pl", which you can get from contrib directory on the Mutt
> FTP site. You can customise that, and add a dn/password etc. into the
> script directly, and add
>
> set query_command = "mutt_ldap_query.pl '%s'"
>
>  to your muttrc. In here, I have it set as
>
> set query_command = "mutt_ldap_query.pl '%s' -W -d 'login=jplooney,ou=people... ' "
>
>  so that I can just pass the "connect as" DN as args to the script, and
> it'll ask me for a password before logging in to the ldap server (it just
> spawns off ldap_search, and formats the output in a specific way).

	Unfortunately, not all ldap enabled mail clients seem to be that
flexible. Or at least, I havent figured out how. Pine for instance, seems
to have pretty good LDAP support, but as best I can tell, no way to set
a bind DN and passwd. Netscape lets you set one, but seems to at least want
to default to using the email address to find the DN to bind with.
	If anyone has more info on how to setup the common mail clients to
allow non-anonymous binds to the server, I'll add it to:

	http://people.redhat.com/alikins/ldap/ldap_mailers.html

Adrian